April 25, 2011

April 25, 2011

Hey there! This week went better than last week thank goodness. It
was pretty good. And yesterday was especially excellent because it was
Easter! Very fun. It is kind of difficult sometimes being a
missionary when holiday's come around because you of course still have
to work on a holiday such as Easter sunday but you really also don't
want to bother people too much that it hurts the image of the Church.
Elder Farnsworth and I were kinda worried for yesterday because we had
tried to set up appointments with people but nothing was working out
and so after church we had an early dinner appointment and then
nothing the rest of the day which meant we were going to have to
tract... And tracting wasn't the most ideal thing to do since so many
people wanted to spend the day as a family. But guess what? The Lord
provides! After church we went to a members home for an early dinner
like I mentioned and it was delicious! They fed us lamb which was
kinda cool. I liked it. And then after dinner we ended up going over
to another members home in the ward who is not as active and got to
teach a fun easter lesson to her kids. And then we had to tract. So
we strategically picked an appartment complex where we figured we
would bother people the least. The cool thing was that there was a
lady living in that complex who was in our ward list but isn't
active. So we knocked on her door and it turns out she has been
pretty much waiting for us to come by because she wants to go back to
church but just needed some help. She moved in a few months ago and
was kind of afraid to start going to a new ward. Pretty funny. But
that happens to people a lot apparently. Lucky for her the Plymouth
ward is a freaking awesome ward. So it was neat to meet her! The
reason I share this story is because that rarely happens. Ha ha.
Most people that are on the ward list that aren't active really don't
want to even talk to you or have no desire at all to go to church.
Some people can even be pretty hostile. Anyway, to finish the night
off it ended up that we got to meet with a guy who had just recently
moved out of the ward and came back to visit and also wasn't the most
active. The point is, we were dreading having to tract for like 4
straight hours on Easter but we somehow got to teach 3 unexpected
lessons! Very cool. It was a good day.

Oh! Guess what? So I'm pretty sure you konw that we live in a
members home. We live with the Reid Family. Anyway, I was talking
with them about Alpine and they said they knew someone who moved to
the Alpine area from here. Turns out, they were talking about Carlie
Hansen and her family! So MJ, you should tell Carlie that I am
serving in her old ward and that I live in Medina like 10 minutes away
from where she used to live. I think she'll like that.

While we were tracting earlier this week we met a lady on the street
who was super awesome and was very interested in learning all about
what we believe. We had like a 30 minute chat with her about the Book
of Mormon and Joseph Smith and everything. She already knew quite a
bit because she knows a few Mormons apparently. She was awesome and
we have an appointment with her today. Hopefully it goes well!

__________is doing really well. We had an awesome lesson with him on
Friday and he committed to completely stop drinking coffee. And we
also finally got to go and meet with him at his house on Saturday!
Every lesson up till this point has been at the _______'s house and we
have tried to come to his house and teach him before but because of
his health he always had to cancel those appointments. But Saturday
it went through and we visited him at his home. It was awesome. He
played piano for us for a little bit and holy cow, he is SO good.
Unbelievable. He has to be since that is his profession. And then we
had a nice lesson with him afterwards. He is such a good guy. I'm
excited for his baptism. Speaking of which, we finally set a solid
date for his baptism. We are going to have it on May 14th. It keeps
on getting pushed back a little bit but I think this is the right date
for him. And this gives him a few more opportunities to come to
church. It will be excellent!

It has been a good week. We are also starting to meet with a few
other member families that come to church and stuff but have kinda
opened up and asked us to teach them a little bit more to help them
really gain testimonies. It's been really cool. We have the chance
to work with a lot of recent converts or less active people or people
that are just struggling and really help them out. And sometimes it
really feels like another baptism to be able to help some of these
people. It's really awesome.

The Jimmer Fredette poster you designed is freaking awesome, dad! It
is so cool! Thanks for sending it.

I also like the pictures of the Easter party. It looks like you guys
had fun. It's a bummer not being able to go but hey, now I only have
to miss one more Easter party. Look at it that way, right? :) I
love getting pictures.

MJ, your first prom! Oooo baby! Was it fun? I bet it was. Prom = a
blast. And I was glad to hear that you went with the classic Trio for
dinner. That place is so delicious.

You should send me the cast list of Beauty and the Beast. Sorry you
fellas don't get very meaty parts but I bet the insane asylum guy will
be fun to play. You'll still have a party.

Well, life is going good and so is the work. It is CRAZY to think
that tomorrow is my 3 month mark. It's like I'm a missionary or
something like that. Craziness. In fact, we're nearing the end of
the next transfer. Just 2 and a half more weeks and I could be in a
new land. Weird.

The weather has been beautiful. Sounds like you guys are getting the
usual Utah weather. Our whether tends to be pretty spastic too. Lots
of raining. But I like rain.

The church is true! I miss you guys!
Love,

Elder Morgan Ruesch