August 27, 2012

August 27, 2012

Hi!

That was so awesome to see pictures of you guys and Aiko! It is so
cool that she is over there in Utah hanging out with my family! That
is just awesome. Thanks for the pictures! I'm glad you are having
fun with her. Thanks for taking care of her!

So this week was delicious as most weeks tend to be. Sadly, the
_________ family was out of town in Northern Minnesota so we didn't
teach them this week. We did talk to them though and they are doing
well.

Our Nigerian investigator is doing awesome too. She is super
amazing! I don't think I have ever met someone with more faith. It
is amazing. Sadly, she is going back to Nigeria to visit her family.
But she will be back in December. We looked up what the church is
like on Mormon.org to find what ward she was in and I was amazed! The
church is HUGE in Nigeria. I had no idea. That was amazing! They
have a temple and there are a ton of wards. It was pretty inspiring.
Needless so say, we figured out the ward she will be in and showed her
where to go. We're doing everything we can to make sure she stays
solid when she goes there. Maybe I will still be in this area when
she comes back in December. She is so cool!

We started teaching a new family! I can't remember if I told you the
story of how we met them. If I have, you get to hear it a second
time. But we met the mom tracting and she said we could come back
sometime but was not very specific so we didn't think they were very
solid. So one afternoon we stopped by to see if we could schedule an
appointment to visit their family. We had a good chat and while we
were talking to her she mentioned that she couldn't get her lawn mower
started. So we offered to try starting it for her. The funny thing
was she said, "If you start the lawn mower, we'll go to the mormon
church!" Ha ha. Guess what? Elder Last got the lawn mower started
on his 2nd or 3rd try. Awesome! Ha ha. And so we ended up mowing
her whole lawn for her. She was really embarrassed but we later found
out she really needed the help. So it was neat to help out! We then
set up a time to come back and teach the family when her husband would
be home too but they later had to cancel and reschedule and cancel
again. Finally, we dropped by again and set another appointment and
asked if they needed help with anything. Turns out the husband
definitely needed help staining his deck. So we spent some time with
him helping stain their deck. It was a nice thing to be able to serve
with him and get to know him better too. So then this week we finally
had a lesson with them. It was great! The spirit was really strong.
They have 3 kids and the oldest is 8 so with the children the lesson
was interrupted a lot. But hey, we love young families. It is worth
it! So we have high hopes for them!

We went to a city called Austin on Friday. That was fun! We spent
the day with those missionaries and had a lot of success! Austin is a
smelly town. It is the SPAM capitol of the world. And so there are a
bunch of factories there that process pigs and turn them into SPAM.
And you can smell it throughout the whole city! But we had a cool
experience while we were there. I was tracting with Elder Parrish,
and we knocked on a door when an African Lady answered and said, "You
come to teach us the word of God? Come in please." Wow! So we had a
wonderful discussion with the whole family and they have another
appointment to go back. That was great! They were a neat family.

I LOVE FAMILIES!

We're working hard and having fun. I hope you all have a wonderful
week! I'm praying for Grandma. I hope she does okay.

Love you!

-Elder Ruesch