May 24, 2011

May 23, 2011

Well hey!

Guess what! There was a tornado by my house! It happened on Saturday
night. I was bummed because we were obviously not home. We were at a
dinner appointment and then we went over to teach _______and he had
been watching the news and told us that a tornado had touched down in
Medina. Which is where we live! Awesome. It must have not been a
vey big tornado or anything though because we haven't seen any
destuction. But that is a good thing. The weather here has been
pretty crazy. There will be dark clouds and dumping rain and then 20
minutes later it will be totally sunny with hardly any clouds in the
sky. Additionally there have been quite a few tornadoes in the twin
cities area. North MInneapolis got dominated yesterday by a tornado.
Pretty scary. I still have yet to see a tornado with my own eyes. It
will happen someday. But don't worry mom, I'm being careful. This is
the season for crazy tornados. The cool thing is that Minnesota is so
prepared for tornadoes so when one does come, no one gets hurt.
Houses get destroyed and everything like that, but people keep
themselves safe.

Anyway, moving on. _______ is doing super well! He came to church
yesterday and he is super excited about his baptism. We are all
looking forward to it. I really think that it is going to happen this
time. We already have the whole program set up and his interview is
done and life is good. It is amazing to see the change that has come
over him. Even in just the past two weeks. I'm glad he didn't get
baptized two weeks ago because he wasn't quite ready. Man, the church
is true.

Things are going well with _________. We invited her to be baptized
on June 18th and she accepted! Pretty cool. We're excited. Today
we're meeting with her again. She is way awesome and I think that she
would love being a member of this church. Unfortunately, she didn't
come to church yesterday. It was disappointing but those things
happen! Other disappointing news. We found out just a few days ago
that she actually lives like 2 blocks outside of the ward boundary.
The boundary is messed up and so we thought we were in our area when
we actually weren't. Not fun. So it looks like we're going to have
to start passing her over to the missionaries in the ward next door
and they can continue with her.

Speaking of people not coming to church, yesterday stunk!
Fortunately, _________ at least came. We also had an older lady
investigator come. But other than that, we got the shaft. We were
expecting at least 5 other people and not one of them showed. I've
been starting to notice a pattern. It seems like the most unhealthy
time of the week is sunday morning. Everyone just happens to get sick
for some reason on sunday morning. It is so odd. They usually are
fine by like 2 or 3 in the afternoon. But at least till then they are
just stuck in bed on the verge of death. Where does this odd sunday
bug come from? Beats me. So yeah, that was disappointing. But hey!
We move on. This week we're going to work even harder.

I can't believe that President Howell only has one more month. It
just blows me away that time has gone that fast. What is the deal?
But I am pretty excited to meet the new president too. It will be
full of mixed feelings.

The ________ family is doing okay. There is no way that they will be
able to get baptized in June. They are progressing, but it is slow.
People have their own timing I guess. I wish that they would at least
come to church. People don't realize how much it can actually help
you in your life. Sometimes, I feel like agency is my worst enemy.
Is that horrible? Of course I love agency but I hate doing everything
you can to help someone make a good decision and watch them turn the
other way. But I guess that is life.

Things are growing though. We are continuing to find new people and
hope that things will turn out good with them. Missionary work is
good. It is hard though. Serving a mission is the best thing I've
ever done but I will be honest, it is also the hardest thing I've ever
done. It is really a challenge and takes a lot of motivation. But
with that it also provides the most joy and self fulfulment I have
ever had. Definitely good stuff. The Church is so genius to send us
young guys out on missions.

Well, Elder Hirschi and I are doing good. We're making it work with
what skills we do have. And somehow things are working out okay. We
couldn't do this without the Lord.

I think that sums up the week pretty good. I'm tired. Something that
I've come to learn is that no matter what you're doing or where you
are in life, you are always tired. It never ends. No wonder when God
talks about Heaven he says you enter into his rest. Sure sounds
heavenly to me.

Love you guys so much!

-Elder Ruesch